Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 354: May Totals and Random Updates

I believe when we last left off, I had recently had an interview and was waiting for word as to whether I would get a promotion to a new position, or whether my job audit would net me a promotion in my current role.

I'm sad to say that neither happened. The job I had interviewed for decided that I did not have enough experience, which I guess I can see since everybody else they interviewed was a business analyst and I am just in sales support. It doesn't make it any less disappointing though. HR responded to my job audit by stating that, although I'm doing more work than required for my position, the extra work that I'm doing is not required for my current position and is simply an added benefit that I bring to the job, so they told my manager that my job could not be reclassified.

So I got no more money. However, after three years, my husband finally got a $0.75 an hour raise. I personally feel it should have been more, given that they haven't given raises in three years, but I'm glad he got something. His company has now started offering a retirement plan too, so we will be filling out the paperwork to start contributions to that as well. It will be a hit to our take home pay, but I'll be glad that he's saving something for retirement. I will likely start contributing again after the first of the year, possibly with my merit raise next year.

While it's disappointing that my current department gave me nothing for my efforts, my manager did say that she could give me a merit raise at my midyear review, and another one next spring. I'm anxious to see what kind of increase I get at midyear.

My student loan payment is going to go up $10 a month after my August payment, as part of my graduated repayment plan.

I have noticed that several readers have ended up on my blog for searching the term "What is a grandfathered repayment plan." From what I understand, there was a revision in the student loan terms, both pertaining to interest rates and payment terms for student loans. I believe this was in 2006, but don't hold me to it. At the time, it seemed like a great idea, because it made all student loans fixed rate, instead of variable, and was locked in at the "low" interest rate of 6.some-odd percent. As we all know, when the economy tanked, this "low rate" was no longer a low rate, but I guess that's how things work. From comparing my payments on my current (grandfathered) repayment plan and the new repayment plans, it appears that the new plans have smaller incremental increases on the graduated plan, but the loan is stretched out for a longer period of time. I believe when I signed my loan paperwork, the longest a loan could be repaid on was 20 years. Now it is 25. Similarly, extended repayment plans can last for 25 years, instead of 20.

I think this is kind of a catch 22 for consumers. When I began repayment on my loans about five years ago, I only had 20 years to pay them off. Yes, my payments are going to increase every two years so I will be paying larger payments towards the end of my repayment period, but I only have 15 more years of paying on them. I have been considering consolidating my loans that were not included in the initial consolidation so all of my loans will be locked in at the same rate, however I believe that this resets my payments to another 25 years (unless I make additional payments on the principal) and I end up paying more interest in the long run. Do I consolidate an lock in the 2.something interest rates on my currently variable loans, or do I leave the two separate and pay them off in 15 years?

If I were making any headway on our debt payment plan, I would leave them as is. My student loans would be paid off in less than 10 years, and if my interest rate on the variable loan skyrocketed, it is legitimately small enough that I could pay it off with a tax return or bonus. But I also know that we always have those returns and bonus's spent before they're even deposited. I hate making grown up decisions.

I actually think I'm becoming a little too obsessive about money, bills, debt and the like. I already have a whole payment plan mapped out for our bills for 2012, and we're not even half way through 2011 yet. I mapped out all of the bills we have to pay, based payments on our current salaries (assuming no increase in salary), assuming no decrease in our mortgage (which we should see because of our decreased homeowners insurance premium), and assuming we continue paying the same monthly payments on credit cards, even as the balances and minimum payments decrease.

And you know what? We have a lot of extra money left after paying bills. Now, it doesn't take into account groceries or gas or any other necessities, but I know approximately how much we spend on these items in a given week or month, and they can fluctuate based on what disposable income we have left after paying bills, but I have to say that unless something catastrophic happens (*knock on wood*), 2012 should be a great year for us financially.

We have 22 weeks where we will have more than $150 after paying bills, 7 of which we will have more than $200, 4 of which we'll have more than $300, and 2 of which we'll have more than $400.

I hope that it actually comes to fruition. That is a lot of extra money to pay towards credit cards. On my spreadsheet, I assumed $200 in spending money (for gas, groceries, and miscellaneous spending) and for weeks with more than $200, I will put everything over $200 in our savings account.

Like I said, I'm a little obsessed about it, and a little crazy for devoting so much time for it, but I think seeing it in black and white helps keep me on track for paying things off in a timely fashion. If I can see where the progress is being made, I'm more likely to stick with it.

Ok, so that's enough rambling I guess. Now I will leave you with pictures of our May debt. This does NOT take into account the money we spent on vacation, as it was not accumulated until June.

As you can see, there wasn't much change in the overall composition of the debt, or the amount of debt paid off.

No comments:

Post a Comment