Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day 311: April Debt Totals and Just Waiting

I'm at a loss. I don't know how to decrease our debt level when we're having a hard time meeting our monthly obligations. We pay down credit cards, or pay them off by the end of the month, but then the next month we don't have enough money to pay for gas, or food, and it has to go on our credit cards. One of the credit cards I paid off last month with our tax return now has an almost $800 balance. I was going to pay it off before the payment due date, but then realized that I did not account for our water bill in my budget this month, so there goes that plan. As gas prices continue to increase, our ability to pay off our debt is going to be dramatically impacted. They are predicting that $4.00 a gallon gas will come to our town this weekend based on the $111 a barrel oil. It's very disheartening that the harder we try to get ahead, the more it seems like something is trying to keep us down. We've already seen our grocery bill nearly double in the past year, and that's buying the same items we were buying before.

On a more positive note, I switched insurance companies. I have been with State Farm since I first started driving 15 years ago. I've always had auto insurance with them, and then renters insurance when I had my own place, and more recently, homeowners insurance. They've usually been pretty good to us, so I never had a reason to shop elsewhere. Well, last January we had to file a claim because the county flooded our basement. Six months prior to that, we had filed a claim on a busted ac/furnace unit, thinking the whole thing would have to be replaced to the tune of $5000. They repaired it, instead of replacing it, so our claim was for a measly $800, so it wasn't even worth it. Anyway, last year, on renewal, State Farm raised our homeowners premium nearly $100 because of our claims history. Two months ago, we received notice that they were increasing our deductible from $500 to 1% of our replacement value, which was nearly triple the deductible we already had on record. I called our agents office, furious, asking how much the deductible was going to be and advising that we would be shopping our insurance elsewhere. They told me they would see if they could decrease our deductible to $1000 and that the reduced coverage would mean lower premium. Wrong. When we received our renewal invoice, our premium went up nearly 25%. So, I started shopping my insurance.

In the interest of full disclosure, I work for Nationwide insurance. I have worked here for nearly 5.5 years, but never switched from State Farm because I liked the way I had been treated by them and the last time I was quoted with Nationwide, they were nearly double State Farms rates. Upon receiving our renewal notice, I called Nationwide. The result? Our homeowners premium is down $105 over 2010 premium (down nearly $250 from what we would have been paying with State Farm). Our auto insurance? Down about $20 a month, so almost $250 for the year. By switching to Nationwide, we saved almost $500 in premium this year. I guess the commercials don't lie.

They will reassess our mortgage payments in July. Hopefully by then, the County Auditor will have reassessed our property value for tax purposes as well, and we should definitely see a decrease in property taxes due to the reduced value of our home. I sent in the paperwork this year to have them reassess, after seeing a more than 30% decrease in property value. The house next door to ours is currently on the market for $35,000 (foreclosure) and has been for several months with no sale. I've finally just stopped looking at house values in our neighborhood because it's too depressing. I'm pretty convinced we're never going to be able to move.

We did decide to take a vacation this year. I booked the room a few weeks ago and got it for 15% off the lowest advertised price, plus they waived the resort fee and parking fees. After dividing the cost with my sister and mom, who are going along and sharing the condo with us, it worked out to less than $1000 for the week for the hotel room. We should have the entire cost of the room paid off before we leave for vacation. We're trying to have a garage sale before we go, but it got rained out last time.

I interviewed earlier this week for a higher paying job. Upon learning that I was interviewing, my supervisor at my current job approached me and told me that she knew I was doing more than required by my job description, so she wanted to perform a job audit to try and get me a promotion and a raise. I should know if I get a second interview by the end of the week (or possibly Monday), and I don't know how long it's going to take to hear back on the job audit, so right now I'm on pins and needles waiting to see if I will get another raise, this time in the way of a promotion.

Anyway, I promised our current debt totals, so here they are. As you can see, we did increase in credit card debt. Our credit cards now compose 9% of our overall debt load, as opposed to 8% in both February and March. I'm hoping that interest rates stay low until they determine the new student loan interest rates next month (I think it's next month), that way I can reconsolidate and reduce my payments further.


No comments:

Post a Comment