Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day 129: Rambling about the Past and the Future

I read this article on Yahoo yesterday, regarding 401(k) matching. As I wrote about a month or so ago, I discontinued my 401(k) contributions temporarily because we needed the additional income to help pay our bills and I was facing a consistent negative rate of return on my investment.

Reading the comments on this article (which is no small feat, given the numerous server errors that plague Yahoo articles), made me really think about my investment philosophy and planning for our future retirement.

I don’t know if I’ve spilled any personal information about myself, but I am 29 years old and my husband is in his mid-30s. I make approximately $42,000 a year plus bonuses (which have ranged anywhere from $500 up to an anticipated bonus this year of closer to $1500). My husband is on an hourly wage and generally has a gross income between $21,000-$25,000 and has not seen a raise in three years. Given our yearly salaries, I find it very sad that we have no savings accounts to speak of.

I put $25 per paycheck into each of our children’s savings accounts and then transfer those funds into small, short term CD’s whenever the savings account balances reach $500. I keep the CD’s small, and occasionally have multiple CD’s with different maturity dates, usually only buying 3 month CD’s due to the low savings rate. If the savings rate ever increases (which I anticipate it will in the future), I may buy more long term CD’s. My children know these bank accounts exist, even if they don’t fully understand them. In addition to my automatic contributions every two weeks, we also put any change and cash they receive into their piggy banks, and when the piggy banks get full, we take the piggy’s to the bank, dump the change into the change machine, and deposit that money into their savings accounts as well. When they get older, I will teach them how money is used to buy things, and we will maybe put half of their change into savings, and the rest of it will be used to buy things they want. I will also give them an allowance for doing chores around the house; something I never received growing up.

I think a lot of my financial immaturity can be traced back to my parents and how I was raised. I don’t want to blame my parents, because they did the best they could, given their financial position. They were both teenagers when I was born and my mom dropped out of school at 16. My dad graduated, but always worked hard, manual labor jobs just to make ends meet. They had five kids, and then divorced, and spent the next 14 years arguing over money, child support, medical bills, and everything else. I remember my dad, over and over again, telling me and my siblings how my mom was being unreasonable, expecting him to pay half of the medical and dental bills when he already paid child support, even though that was what the court order stated. I remember him showing me his paychecks and telling me, “This is how much I bring home, and this is how much I pay your mom, and how much does that leave me with? Do you think that it’s fair that I should have to pay her more for doctors and dentist bills?” Similarly, I remember copying every check that my dad sent my mom for child support so she would have proof for the courts that he wasn’t paying his fair share, and knowing how much she was bringing in, and how much the mortgage was, and really having no clue on utilities or car payments. Based on what I know now, as an adult, it’s no wonder our home was foreclosed on when I was 17 years old.

When we bought our house, we made an effort to determine how much home we could afford. I never wanted my children to feel the sense of loss that I did when we lost our home. It was as if I went off to college, and never had a home to go back to. Apartments never felt like home, and I moved every year so I didn’t really accumulate much from year to year. My first apartment was furnished, but my second was not, and the only furniture I owned was a queen sized bed and a 19” tv. I sat the tv on a box and didn’t have cable. My living room was empty. Same with my second apartment, until my (now) husband bought me a tv stand to set my tv on for my birthday. It wasn’t until I moved in with my husband that I actually had furniture in my living room, and even then we had a broken down couch that he’d gotten from friends, or family, or somewhere, and a dresser that had broken handles. We got a free washer and dryer when we signed a 15 month lease with the apartment complex, which worked great for us at the time. We got an old desk from a friend that was moving and furniture from friends and family when they replaced theirs.

So as we were saving to buy a house, we calculated how much we were spending on rent, and we put whatever we could into savings every month. We kept track of what we were able to save, what we were spending on extraneous items, and where we could save more. When we met with a mortgage broker, we told him we could afford no more than $950 a month for our mortgage, interest, and insurance; knowing that we could afford closer to $1000, but not wanting to push our budget. He told us that with the amount we were looking to spend, we could only afford a $100,000 house, but that with our income, we qualified for $160,000 home. We disagreed, telling him that $1000 would be pushing our budget and he told us that we would see raises and be able to afford more in the future. I am glad we didn’t listen to him.

We looked at homes between $99,000 and $113,000, and ultimately bought the most expensive one that we looked at, but it had four bedrooms and one and a half baths, and did not need near the work that the others we saw needed. It was, for all intents and purposes, move in ready.

When we bought our home is when finances started going downhill for us. We bought a new couch, new bed, new tv, new tv stands. It was almost as if when we were told we could afford more house, we thought we could afford more stuff to go in it. Of course, we had no more cash, and since our mortgage payment was at the top of our limit, everything went on credit. At a time when many people were losing their job and defaulting on debt payments, we were a great asset to companies looking to make a profit, like banks. We bought and bought and made the minimum payments and finally, at Christmas last year, hit a point where we were questioning how we were going to buy gifts for everybody that we were supposed to buy for. We had been buying with the assumption that our tax return would bail us out, that bonuses would hold us over, that all of the spending that we did throughout the year would be wiped out with the influx of cash in the spring.

The problem was that with the credit card reform that went into effect earlier this year, some of our creditors, especially the ones with the biggest balances, decided to change their fixed rate cards into variable rates, and increased the interest rates to the point that 90%+ of our minimum payment was going towards interest. This led to higher minimum payments to cover the interest plus a minimum payment towards the balance, and without the tax return, we didn’t have the money to pay the balances down.

Then we were hit by problem after problem financially. Our air conditioner broke, twice. Our basement flooded with sewage. Our air conditioner broke again. The bottom of our car was rusted out and it would have cost more to repair than it was worth to keep it.

Through it all, though, we’ve managed to keep our heads above water. Our 2010 tax return went towards paying off the credit cards we used to fix our basement. Our 2011 tax return will go towards the other problems we’ve had crop up throughout the year.

Once we’ve made a sizable dent in our debt, I will start putting a percentage of our pay into savings for a rainy day fund, instead of throwing so much money towards the debt, that way we will have a cushion. We’re less stressed with an emergency fund.

And after we’ve made payments towards these credit cards and I feel that we have sufficiently gotten our heads above water, I will resume contributions to my company 401(k). My company matches 50 cents on the dollar up to 6% of my salary. I contribute to a Roth 401(k) because I’d like to think that I will be making more money when I retire than I do now, pushing me into a higher tax bracket. Even if I’m not making anymore, I will still probably be in a higher tax bracket due to inflation. After contributing to the maximum that my employer will match, I plan to contribute to a Roth IRA, eventually up to the maximum that I am allowed. I would eventually like to put some amount into the market for long term investing, not to play the market. I want to learn more about buying stock and diversifying my investments. My company also offers a pension, in addition to the 401(k), which I am well aware makes me very fortunate.

Anyway, this discussion about planning for retirement has gotten very long winded and off track, but I guess I just needed a brain dump today. To sum it up, I want to diversify. I know that 401(k)’s aren’t guaranteed, so I’d like to also contribute to a Roth IRA and savings and CD’s, but I’d also like to try some long term investing in the stock market, and hopefully by time we retire, we’ll have paid off our mortgage and won’t be carrying debt, and we’ll be able to live comfortably without worrying where our next meal is coming from.

No comments:

Post a Comment