Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Milestone!

I input all of the payments we've made this month, as I do after every pay day. I put all of our new balances in, taking into account what we spent on vacation. The only outstanding payment we have for April is my car, but I can estimate the balance based on interest rates and fixed payment amounts.

And then I came to a shocking and exciting realization.

For the first time since I started my debt payoff journey, we owe less than $200,000 in debt!

This months debt total is $199,564.32!

Slow and steady wins the race, right?

In other news, I'm trying to refinance our house. Supposedly, HARP 2.0 eliminated a cap on LTV and appraisals on your home. As I am learning, this is not necessarily so. Since financial institutions have a choice in whether they want to offer HARP refinancing or not, most of them are not willing to provide refinancing through this program. Why should they, I guess, when they're making a profit off of those of us that are locked into high interest rates and haven't walked away from our homes yet.

I tried to refinance through my credit union yesterday, but they enforce a 125% LTV cap on their HARP loans. We're looking at closer to 148% based on Zillow's values. Even if we used the higher assessment we received from the auditors office for tax purposes, we're still at 133% LTV.

I hate that we live in a society where I'm being punished for being responsible and paying my mortgage, unlike the majority of my neighbors. I don't know if our situation would be more bearable if we were paying less on our home, but it would certainly lessen the sting. Every day I ask myself why we're still paying our mortgage when all of our neighbors have walked away and the current owners paid 1/3 of what we did for our home. We're gluttons for punishment, I guess.

We have to make a pretty big repair to our home, to the tune of over $8000, but I don't know where we're going to find the money. In better times, we might have been able to take out a home equity line of credit, but since our equity is negative, there is nothing to take out. It's our sewer line, and it's a ticking time bomb. The walls are cracked and it has started to shift in about 1/4-1/2 of an inch. I know we need to fix it, but I don't know where we'll find the money.

Roto Rooter was pretty shady about the whole thing; they told us in our home that it would be a max $4000 to have the work done, so I took a $4000 loan out of my 401k, only for them to give us a proposal of $8175. When I told him he had quoted us $4000 at our home, he said there was no way he would have quoted that because it was impossible and told me to take out a loan for the other $4000. I told him I took out a loan for the first $4000 and it wasn't even in the ballpark of what we were willing to do for our home at this time.

I applied for a new job too. I'm not sure if I am ready to leave where I am, but the job I applied for pays significantly more, and it's more in line with the career path I'm following. We'll see if I even get an interview, and then I will start making decisions if it's necessary.

Alas, I must get back to work, but I wanted to share my good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment