Sunday, January 1, 2012

Hello 2012

I have told my husband repeatedly, 2012 is the year we pay off our credit card debt. We might not be able to pay off the student loans, cars, house, or signature loan, but in 2012, we are going to pay off our credit cards.

I have started taking some steps to pay them off. I opened a Discover Card and transferred some of my balances to it at 0% interest for 18 months. They each came with a 3% balance transfer fee, but the balance transfer fee on each equals one months interest, so I'm still not going to end up paying as much on the debt. After transferring as much of the balances as I could (I was not able to transfer them all because the credit line was not high enough), I drained our savings accounts so I can pay off the remaining balances on a couple of the cards. We will still have a pretty significant amount of debt accruing interest, but I'm trying to position us so that we can pay it off this year.

I was not 100% what the balances were on the credit cards as I set up the balance transfers so what I did was this:

Estimated that our Target card had a balance of about $3500, but was not sure of the exact amount, so I transferred $3000 to the Discover card and used a portion of our savings to pay the remaining balance.
One of our Credit Union cards had a balance of about $2100, but I wasn't sure of the exact amount, so I transferred $2100 and used savings to pay the remaining balance.
I used savings to pay off our Kohl's card and my Victoria's Secret credit card.

My husband's paycheck should be pretty big next week, since he worked the full week, plus got paid for an extra day for Christmas and for New Years, so 20 hours extra on top of the full two weeks worth of work, plus he'll be receiving a bonus (possibly two, depending how long it takes for them to pay the second). My bonus will come in February and it is pretty sizable this year.

I think between the two, we should be able to pay off all of our credit card debt that is currently accruing interest. We will have a Discover Card and two Best Buy cards that have debt that are accruing 0% interest, which we should be able too pay off throughout the year and should be, hopefully, credit card debt free by the end of 2012.

The biggest challenge for us is that we don't want to stop spending. We have real issues controlling our spending. Even as we've had the conversations as they've related to what we need to do to pay off the debt, we're still talking about taking a Disney vacation, which would have to be charged, and we still make random trips to the store whenever we're bored and just buy whatever. We still can't exhibit the will power we need to be successful in this resolution, so that may take a lot more time and effort than even I expect.

I have to accept that we will have slip ups and we will probably make mistakes along the way and we may even fail as the calendar flips to 2013, but if we can make strides this year, then it will go a long way in improving our financial position and getting us to the point where we are eventually debt free.

No comments:

Post a Comment